Friday, April 17, 2009

The Coolest Girl I Know

Most of us feel secure when we're in control, comfortable being the one making decisions. (Anybody out there a backseat driver?!) But, when you become a patient in the hospital, especially as a child, you trade in that control for a silly backless gown. When you're in the hospital, somebody else decides when you pop a pill, whether you want to have that scan, and if it's time to take your blood pressure.

But yesterday, a 15-year-old patient at Children's, Cheyene Guedea, took back control and made a very grown-up, selfless decision.

A week ago, Dr. Tamra Slone, a UT Southwestern pediatric hematologist/oncologist at Children's, had to give Cheyene a pretty rotten diagnosis: acute myeloid leukemia. AML is one of those cancers that's determined to rob a girl of her hair.

But instead of waiting for chemotherapy to thin her long locks, she decided to cut it all off, and get this - donate it to Locks of Love, a non-profit organization that provides hair pieces to kids who are suffering from long-term medical hair loss - because "she doesn't want another child to feel self conscious about losing her hair."

How unbelievably awesome is that?

A stylist from Salon Pompeo gave her the hippest, most chic little bob. Cheyene looks beyond adorable with her new 'do.

But, what about when the chemo kicks in? When her beautiful brunette locks start to thin and fall out? She's ready.

"I don't think I'm going to want a wig," she told TV cameras. "I'm going to rock a bandana."

And as the coolest girl I know, I believe she will.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such an inspiration!

Anonymous said...

What a great example and inspiration! Such confidence at such a young age. Great story. Laura

Anonymous said...

Wow, such a grown up at such a young age. She is truely an inspiration!

Anonymous said...

She a very sweet person. I wish her all the best. God is looking over her and watching over her at all times.