Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Kids and Casts

Excuse me while I find a big wooden table to knock on...but, I have never been been rushed to the ER, never needed stitches and never broken a bone. Maybe I wasn't a very adventurous kid (ok, so there's no maybe about it, I've always been a nervous Nelly about anything that might be dangerous!).

Apparently, I'm a rarity. Last year, the orthopedics department at Children's put on more than 7,000 casts and splints. On average, that's nearly 20 casts per day!

All of this comes to mind because I a saw a kid splashing around in a pool wearing a cast. "Isn't that against the rules?!" ponders Nelly, nervous as ever.

Not necessarily. (Why am I surprised? Man has walked on the moon, and some genius invented the iPhone. I guess a waterproof cast was a no-brainer.)

Still, there are a few rules for taking care of a cast. I hope you and your tree-climbing, skate board-riding daredevil never need to know those rules. Be safe!

No comments: