Friday, June 5, 2009

NFL Quarterback Visits Patients

In this neck of the woods, you might jump to the conclusion that I'm talking about Tony Romo. (And don't get me wrong, we love Tony. Hopefully we'll see him back at Children's during the Cowboys' annual holiday visit!) But today, it was another NFL quarterback - Jay Cutler of the Chicago Bears.

Jay is a Type I diabetic, the type of diabetes sometimes referred to as juvenile diabetes; he learned of his lifechanging diagnosis just more than a year ago.

Since then, he's been making the rounds, visiting with kids who have received the same challenging diagnosis. We're grateful he made time during his trip to Dallas to stop by Children's to talk with patients who are part of the only pediatric diabetes program in the country that has received disease-specific certification from the Joint Commission.

Jay met this little guy in the waiting room of the endocrinology clinic. Brayden is only three years old, so I'm not sure he realized he was talking with a football great. He was just excited to tell someone about the big fish he recently caught, and Jay was an apt listener to this little guy's fish tale.

But minutes later, Jay was in an exam room with a teenaged boy who is working hard to manage his diabetes. I think their few minutes together helped both guys realize they aren't fighting this battle alone.

Thanks again, Jay, for your visit. And good luck next year in the Windy City!

No comments: