Dad Chris is a Sherman firefighter, and Mom Amanda works for a veterans hospital. Watch out, because their 3-year-old son John will steal your heart with his adorable grin.
We met the Gilbreath family for the same reason we meet most of our families - because their child needs specialty pediatric care. Children's is a pediatric Trauma Level I hospital, the only one in the southwest. Children's also boasts a nationally recognized cancer program, Heart Center and transplant program, among more than 50 other pediatric specialties. So, most of the families we meet come to Children's because they need the best docs around to fight some of the scariest pediatric illnesses. The Gilbreaths fit that bill.
John was born with kidneys that didn't work well. In fact, they were doing more harm than good, so he's now living without either one of his diseased kidneys. On Monday, John will receive a lifechanging gift of a kidney transplant from his dad. But, don't let Chris hear you call him a hero - I mean, this guy's a firefighter, saving lives is all in a day's work! (And he's incredibly modest like that, which only makes you like him more!)
The family has been so gracious with their story. They're eager to share their experience if it helps raise awareness for organ donation. They've even agreed to allow us to Twitter from the operating rooms.
Representatives from the public relations departments at UT Southwestern Medical Center and Children's will feed you real-time updates on Chris's and John's surgeries on the Children's Twitter page, starting at 6 a.m. Monday. And we'll capture every moment of the day, from pre-surgery to recovery, because we know you're eager to hear the happy ending of this family's story just like we are.

6 comments:
This is so cool! I wish this family all the best. Can't wait to see their smiling faces on the other side of surgery.
Jess... you're doing a great job. Good stories and I like to follow this.
I work with Amanda and John is the sweetest child I have ever met. He never has a frown on his face, and is always talking to everyone. I know that Jesus will be watching over Chris and John on Monday. We love you John!
John is a precious child. We are so blessed to have him. He is a joy!
I am nurse on the Renal floor and the Gilbreath FAMILY is my favorite. I have been wondering when his transplant was...I am glad to know and will be praying for them all...especially my little 'tractor man' John! :-)
I am very touched by this story. I am a teacher and this kid has a smile that shows he deserves the best. Stay strong and I will keep the family in my prayers. Beautiful family. It is good to hear that a family is really being a family and being there for each other. I am so happy for yall that I am crying. Keep the FAITH!
Post a Comment