Friday, May 22, 2009

Kid-centric Care

Wait a minute...you mean, not all hospitals transport their patients in Radio Flyer wagons? And every hospital doesn't have clowns roaming the halls making patients and their visitors giggle at oversized underpants?! It's easy to take special touches for granted when you work at a children's hospital, especially one that's recognized as one of the best in the country.

But, I received a call last week that made me realize a truly great children's hospital is about more than colorful murals on the walls or smiley fries in the cafeteria (but don't tell that to the kids!). A mom and her chronically ill child who were passing through the D/FW area came to Children's for treatment. And before doctors accessed his port, they used J-Tip, a nifty needle-free injection system that virtually eliminates the pain associated with needle sticks.

Children's was the first pediatric hospital in the state of Texas to adopt J-Tip throughout the hospital. Why? Because it fits with the mission to make life better for children. And it made all the difference in the world to this particular mother and her 9-year-old son. Her next question?

"How can I get my home hospital in Nashville to offer J-tip, too?"

So, I get it: not all hospitals have a giant model train display in the lobby, shooting stars on the ceilings or even kid-centric medical devices, but I think any hospital that's going to take care of kids should. Don't you?

1 comment:

Andrea "The H family" said...

Hi...I'm a patient of Susan Iannaccones and an avid blogger.
So glad Children's is blogging! About time!
My question is..who is blogging? Who is the exact person that is blogging here? I have some suggestions on how to better present this blog to parents and would love to chat.

please email me: andreas7@cebridge.net
and..feel free to check out my son's CMS blog.
cmsluke.blogspot.com