Monday, September 14, 2009

Are you tough enough?

I'm always inspired by my colleagues who work at Children's because of their personal experience at the hospital. In a way, it seems tough to work in a place that is a constant reminder of your child's health problems. Then again, even without a personal story attached to Children's, I still feel good at the end of the day to know I'm working for such a noble cause. So, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that someone who owes his beautiful little girl's life to the hospital would find satisfaction in a full-time gig here.

Paul Akeman, who works for the Office of Development, wrote a really touching explanation of why Children's is such a special place for his family and why they're getting "TX Tough" for Children's Medical C
enter.

My wife, Angie, and I are the proud parents of 4-year-old Avery Grace Akeman. Avery has had to grow up a little faster than most.


Avery was born just a few weeks early and spent a brief time in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit before coming home. Nine days later, however, we returned to Children’s Medical Center with Avery for some tests. Everyone was under the impression that Avery had a case of the “preemies,” and would outgrow her spells.


To date, Avery has spent a total of 372 days in the hospital.


By the time she was 3, Avery had finally begun taking food by mouth, though she still endures eight hours of intravenous nutrition every night and must use a G-tube (a tube that is located on her tummy) to provide supplemental nutrients and medication. She has undergone countless blood transfusions, iron infusions, tests and surgeries.


Thanks to Children’s Medical Center and our great God, Avery is here with us today. To see Avery fully clothed, you would never know the pain that she has endured. She has a great outlook on life and is an understanding, patient, kind-hearted child. The sun in her world is a little brighter, the sky is a little bluer, and the leaves on the trees a little greener.


TX Tough, a series of running, biking and swimming events that raise money exclusively for Children’s, inspired us to form “Team Avery” with a few friends and family members. None of us is a super cyclist, swimmer or runner, but we all share a passion for Children’s and managed to raise just more than $9,000 last year for the hospital.


I choose to participate in TX Tough because it allows me to share my passion for helping children like my Avery, and engage and educate others about the amazing things that happen at Children’s Medical Center each day. I also am grateful to work at Children’s — a place that always strives to provide my daughter with exactly what she needs. I am grateful for such an outstanding organization, TX Tough,
to exist and provide a way for me to give back.

So, on that note, are you ready to grab your tennies, or pump up your bike tires, or don a Speedo? Ok, so you don't have to wear a Speedo! But, join us. The next event is a leaisurely bike ride for riders of all ages and all skill levels on Sunday, September 20. Learn more about TX Tough and how to participate, even if your child is well. Heck,
because your child is well.

Are you tough enough?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well-said, Paul, my good friend. I wish you great success with TX Tough, there's no doubt you will meet your goal and surpass it! As Sir Winston Churchill once said: "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." A spirit of giving is one of God's greatest gifts to us... and one of your greatest personal strengths. Take care, and see you soon!

Joe Luna