It's a common mistake, especially among teens. While driving, a familiar ring tone signals a new text message. Curiosity takes over and before they know it, they're reaching for the cell phone to get a glance at the latest message. It's harmless, right?Wrong. According to Claudia Romo at Children's who specializes in preventing injuries, reading or sending text messages while driving is an accident waiting to happen - potentially a deadly one. Cell phone use has caused many teen drivers to take a turn for the worse. And lawmakers hope to put a halt to the tragedies on the rise.
A proposed ban on texting while driving would require states to prohibit texting or emailing while operating a moving vehicle. If the legislation is approved and a state does not comply, it will lose 25 percent of its annual highway funding.
What do you think - will this make the roads safer?
What do you think - will this make the roads safer?
4 comments:
Absolutely, I think it should be against the law to text while driving. That is insanely dangerous. I admit, I've been guilty of it in the past, but I've realized how stupid and irresponsible it is, and I just don't do it anymore.
I agree. Texting while driving should be against the law. While I admit to doing it quite often, I do realize the potential dangers that can arise out of it. I try to limit it as much as possible, and if there is something I really need to respond to, my cell phone has the capability to read my text messages outloud and then I can simply call the person back using my hands-free set.
I agree with the previous two writers. Text messaging and reviewing emails on a blackberry are extremely dangerous and seem to be more dangerous than drunk driving. It would be interesting to see how your chances of having an accident increase while texting. A program that reads your texts to you sounds like a good idea. Where can I find that?
Yes, it should be against the law, although I think it is sad that the government has to help people make the 'right decisions'. It will save lives, so I am for a law prohibiting it.
Post a Comment